Monday

You can't judge a book by it's cover or title



Sometimes books that are put on display just sit there on the shelves. The books we select to purchase for the library have received good reviews, but sometimes their covers or titles don't do them justice.  As the case with "The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady". I probably walked by this book for a month, had conversations with staff members and patrons about it. No one wanted to read it. I'm not sure if it's the neon green woman on the cover or the radioactive in the title.  I honestly felt bad for the radioactive lady for reasons other than her being radioactive. So I decided to take it home and give it whirl.

I found that I really enjoyed reading this book. Marylou Ahearn wants revenge on the doctor who gave her a radioactive cocktail in the 1950's when she was pregnant.  She blames him for ruining her life.  It's now 50 years later and she sets out to get her revenge.  She changes her name to Nancy Archer (Attack of the 50 Ft woman), moves to his town, and inserts herself into his family.  While there were some serious moments, I found myself laughing out loud more than once. As you start looking for books to take to on your summer vacation, don't forget about the radioactive lady!

Oh by the way, let me save you the trouble. The cover of this book does not glow in the dark. I checked!

No comments: